Sunday, September 26, 2010

How To Make A Crib Sheet

We have a new baby arriving in the family very soon and today found me sewing 2 crib sheets.  I'm making them from 1 double size fitted sheet that was a lucky find at a local thrift shop.  It was new & it was a Pooh Print, matching the nursery decor!   $4  Yay!

NOTE:  a double sheet makes 2 crib sheets!  

Amazingly simple, I thought that I'd share how I made them.  

MaTeRiaLS FoR 1 CRiB SHeeT
  
45" x 70" fabric (Prewash)
48" of 3/8" elastic, cut into four 12"long pieces
thread to match
scissors, sewing machine, ruler

ease level:  lots simpler than it appears
cost: so much less than store bought
time required: 30+ minutes, depending on skill level.

note: it took just over 30 minutes for me to make 2 crib sheets, which included photo time.  
I used my serger (6,000 stitches per minute!) and that speeds things up a whole lot.
 I also used my Black & Decker electric scissors....I am so in love with power tools!

INSTRuCTioNS


#1
Cut fabric to size.  
If using a double size sheet, cut in half, side to side (NOT LENGTHWISE!) You will be making one crib sheet from the top half and another crib sheet from the bottom half.

~~~~~~~~


#2
If using a sheet, as I did, remove existing elastic, cutting close to the elastic.

Skip #2 if you are not using a sheet!
~~~~~~~~


#3
Cut & remove a 9" x 9" square from each corner.
Note:  If you are using a sheet, you can leave the 2 corner seams as is. Just cut the 2 remaining corners.

~~~~~~~~


#4
Fold over the corner, right sides together, as shown.
Repeat for each corner
~~~~~~~~


#5
Sew each corner closed, as shown.  Stitch twice, as these are the pressure points that need to withstand a lot of wear and tear when you take them on and off the mattress. 

#6
Either serge all around the edge of the sheet, or sew a small hem all around, your choice.

~~~~~~~~


#7
Find the center point of one 12" length of elastic and sew it to the center of your corner seam. 

~~~~~~~~



#8
Then, sewing from the center seam, stretch out your elastic while you are sewing.  Flip, and stitch the other half of the elastic, following the same instructions. 
Be sure to use a zig-zag or an elastic stitch so that you have a stretchy corner!
Repeat for each corner.

~~~~~~~~


Your corners should look like this!

~~~~~~~~


And, here are my 2 completed crib sheets!
Final Cost: about $2 each. (I had elastic in my stash)


e-mail me if you have questions... 
If I've inspired you, please send photos. 
I'd love to see them!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts...